17 April 2019

A message from East 15’s Director, Leon Rubin

Filed under: Loughton — Tags: , , , , , — Laura Mathias @ 8.17 am

I rarely write more than a few words for our blog as I am too busy chasing around, collaborating with many friends and colleagues. However, as many of you know, I will be stepping down as Director of East 15 Acting School on Tuesday 23 April 2019. I planned this over a year ago and have been gradually organising everything for my successor. April 23 is, of course, a special day as it is Shakespeare’s birthday, although according to the records of the time, it could actually be April 22- also my birthday!

Professor Leon Rubin

So, it seems like the right time, after 12 years, to make a change. It has been the happiest role in my life so far and it is an amazing school full of extraordinary students and staff. It was named the number one school for drama in the UK this year in the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide and so it is the right time to hand over.

No, I am not retiring and never will; I am fortunate enough to be among the few in this world who love my work.

I now have a two-year sabbatical to focus on directing and writing and will travel around the globe to do this. I also have a commissioned book to write and other projects to pursue. I will remain part of the team at East 15 and will return here to teach and research after the sabbatical.

So, thank you to all of you across the world who have made the last 12 years so rewarding, stimulating and life-enhancing and I will see many of you on my travels in the UK and overseas. I cannot express the pride and joy I have reading and hearing about all the alumni careers and, as always, I will follow the stories as they continue to light up the sometimes dark skies around us.

Leon