17 January 2019

Three Minute Thesis competition 2019

Filed under: News — ckeitch @ 9.49 am

The Three Minute Thesis competition is back. We spoke to Dr Tuesday Watts-Overall, who’s just got a job as a lecturer at the University of East London, to find out more about her experience of winning the competition in 2017.

Dr Tuesday Watts-Overall

Dr Tuesday Watts-Overall

How did you first get involved with the Three Minute Thesis competition?: I entered the 3MT competition when I was in the final year of my PhD.

What was the best thing about taking part?: Being able to confidently and concisely explain 3 years worth of work to a layperson, which I’ve done quite a lot since then.

Do you think the Three Minute Thesis competition helped you once you’d finished your PhD?: Yes, definitely. I became quite good at summarising my research speciality in job interviews, interviews with the media and at conferences.

Can you tell us a bit more about your current research? : My current research builds on that of my PhD, investigating the factors that contribute to the development of sexual orientation and gender related expression.

Finally, if you could give one piece of advice to people thinking about entering the competition, what would it be?: Go for it! It’s a great, confidence-boosting experience, which will come in handy in a range of situations throughout your PGR study and long afterwards.

If you’d like to enter this year’s competition just email a 300 word summary of your research to 3MT@essex.ac.uk.