27 November 2018

Become a peer mentor and help your fellow students

Filed under: News — Heather Leathley @ 2.44 pm

Ever thought of becoming a peer mentor in Essex Business School or Health and Social Care in Southend? Rhia Gill explains why she took up the role.

Rhia Gill

Rhia, what are you studying?

I’m a third year BA Therapeutic Care student in Health and Social Care at the Southend Campus.

Why did you apply to be a peer mentor?

I applied to be a peer mentor to support first year students as they settle in.  I really struggled to settle into university and had so many questions which I believed weren’t academic enough to approach lecturers about and I had no one to ask. By becoming a peer mentor I provided a place for students to ask those questions.

What is the role of a peer mentor?

My role as a peer mentor is just to be there for students. I email them throughout the term to check in to see if they’re okay and to see if there is anything I can help with.

How would you encourage people to seek out their peer mentor?

One way students find out about me is through the department’s administration team. They can point you in the direction of the service you need.

What do you enjoy about being a peer mentor?

I enjoy meeting the students and answering their questions to the best of my ability.

Would you encourage people to apply to be a peer mentor next year?

Yes I would. It isn’t an overly difficult role and you are provided with all the training needed to support students. It also looks good on your CV!