6 July 2018

From Beijing to Essex to study

Filed under: News — mh17332 @ 10.56 am

A Chinese student who arrived at Essex to gain the skills and qualifications she needed to become a translator and interpreter feels she’ll be leaving the University with so much more.

Sitong Zong studied for a degree in logistics management in Bejing, but part-way through her course set her heart on a career as a Chinese-English translator and interpreter.

She felt her best chances of success lay in studying in an English-speaking environment, but was worried her lack of experience would be a barrier. A recruitment event in Shanghai changed her mind.

“I was told my passion and interest in the subject was the most important thing. That event was crucial and I am so glad I went. The University of Essex has exceeded my expectations. It has given me so many opportunities to build up my CV and experience, and also take part in so many activities. I thought I would just be here until I completed my course, but now I don’t want to leave.”

Sitong has spent two years at Essex – completing a PG Diploma in interpreting, followed by  an MA in Conference Interpreting and Translation. She has really thrown herself into student life and gained a Big Essex Gold Award, in recognition of the many activities she has been involved in.

These have included opportunities connected to her course. Recommended by her course director, she worked as an interpreter for a tourism forum at the Olympic Stadium at Stratford, met senior translators at the EU in Brussels and for two years running won the Translation Challenge, organised by the department and a translation company.

She joined the public speaking society, learned French through the Languages for All programme, which offers students the opportunity to learn another language for free alongside their main degree, and volunteered at a local church in Clacton.

Sitong lived on campus throughout her time at Essex and appreciated the convenience and security this brought her.

She now hopes to stay in the UK and is keen to use her skills to help British companies begin trading in China.