30 May 2014

Message from our Vice-Chancellor

Filed under: Colchester, Loughton, News, Southend — Tags: — Communications, CER @ 11.13 am
Our Vice Chancellor, Professor Anthony Forster

Our Vice-Chancellor, Professor Anthony Forster

Dear Student Member of the University,

This year has been another exceptional one for our University: we were ranked 22nd in the latest ranking of the world’s best young universities, the Times Higher Education’s ‘Top 100 under 50’, and I am delighted that 10 of our subjects were placed in the top 25 in the UK Complete University Guide.

As the summer break approaches, it is an opportunity for all members of the University to take stock, to reflect on our experiences over the last academic year and to anticipate the future – with many of you graduating with a University of Essex degree and moving on to a new phase of your life.

To those graduating in July I want to offer my warmest congratulations. Graduation Week is the highlight of the year and I know our staff relish the chance to see each and every one of you don your robes and enjoy a University-wide celebration of your achievements. This is a wonderful time and I hope that you and your friends and families really enjoy the occasion.

To those returning in the autumn, we look forward to having you back with us feeling refreshed and reinvigorated after a well-earned break. We will be running our annual ‘Employability Week’ in October, where our dedicated team will be showcasing a range of fantastic opportunities for both work and work experience. I am keen to encourage you to take advantage of the opportunity to think about the future and to draw on the expertise, advice and support that we provide.

Our 50th Anniversary Celebrations will begin with a Homecoming weekend on 12 -14 September and you are very warmly invited. Our Colchester Campus will be alive with memories from 1964 onwards and it would be wonderful to have you involved in the Homecoming, whether as graduating or returning students – I’m sure it will be a memorable and historic weekend.

Finally, I wanted to take the opportunity to say that the work of the ‘Class of 2014’ has been exceptional. You are all valued and recognised as the embodiment of the Essex Spirit – and we are proud to have played a part in your lives.

vc signature

Professor Anthony Forster

Vice-Chancellor

One Response to “Message from our Vice-Chancellor”

1. Natasha says:

Greetings Mate, I am writing from Dubbo Australia. We have had a lot of bushfires the last month and I’ve only just been able to get on to the blogsphere Thanks for the useful article. It helped me a lot with my TAFE computing research. God Bless the internet !