11 October 2013

Your thoughts on Welcome Week

Filed under: Colchester, News — Tags: , , — Communications, CER @ 11.26 am
our Frontrunner Miguel has been speaking to new students about their experiences

As our new students start to settle in and get stuck into their studies, our communications Frontrunner Miguel went out about about on the Colchester Campus to find out about their initial impressions, thoughts, and highlights from their first experiences of University of Essex life.

First year psychology student Izzy, is keen to get involved in the University’s sports offer. She said:  “I’m going to join Cheerleading. I went for the teaser session, and that was really fun. I also went to try out swimming yesterday, and then I’m planning to go to Netball on Tuesday. There’s a lot of clubs and societies to join. Clubs and societies are the place to go if you want to find people with the same interests as you.”

Andrew, a first year Computer Science student, has come down with a bought of fresher’s flu, but isn’t letting it spoil his experience. He said: “Welcome Week was really good, apart from having fresher’s flu! The atmosphere is pretty good, everybody is enthusiastic and I plan to join basketball and the e-sports society. Campus accommodation is great, I am meeting a lot of new people all at once, and having space to yourself just makes it even better.”

Emma, a second year International Relations student, has been particularly enjoying the social aspect of University life: “I think this year’s Welcome Week was a lot better, we had Metal Meltdown on Saturday, which was absolutely amazing, and Weatus on Tuesday, which happened to be my birthday night out, which was really good. I’ve already paid most of my memberships already. I’m in the Politics Society, Conservative Futures, debating society, and a few others. I’m living in town this year and am really missing living on campus, because everything is so close. You feel you’re in your own little campus and that you don’t need to leave except to go to Tesco, but it’s still fun, I still feel a part of everything.” She said.

Curtis, a first year English Language student is getting stuck into everything. He said: “I found Welcome Week it really fun. I met a lot of new people, so it was really cool, and there was a lot on offer to do, so it was a good experience. I’ve signed up for the e-sports society and I’m still looking online a few other ones that I found interesting. I’ve been to quite a few events in Sub-zero because I bought the Megapass. It was nice to cut the line and to not have to worry about buying tickets. I’m living at the Quays, so it’s a bit further to walk than most people, but I do like being close to campus and being able to just walk out and come and see everything. Everyone is really friendly, because all first years are in the same boat as me. They all want to make friends, so it’s really easy to talk to people. Even the second and third year students are all really friendly and always willing to give advice.”