6 June 2018

Meet the new Business Development Manager for Essex Sport

Filed under: Latest news — Heather Leathley @ 4:25 pm

Meet Simon Lister, the new Business Development Manager for Essex Sport

Simon, can you tell us about your role?

I look after the membership of Essex Sport; the customer journey and usage of the Essex Sport Arena. I am also responsible for corporate sponsorship for our performance sport teams and the Arena.

Simon Lister

What did you do before taking on this job?

I began my working life as a cartographer for the Royal New Zealand Navy. After completing my surveying diploma, and seeking a greater challenge I moved into Conference and Events, producing business to business conferences and developing corporate sponsorships. More recently I worked for General Motors in New Zealand and was involved in sport sponsorship on an international scale, particularly focussing on motorsport and golf. My latest tenure was in the non-profit sector working with the Employers and Manufacturers Association in corporate partnerships, membership retention and loyalty programme implementation.

In my other life I am a professional dancer and have represented New Zealand on the world stage.  I was the 10 Dance Champion in New Zealand for three years and finished in the Top 30 in the World Latin Championship in 2003. That’s the reason I first came to the UK as London was, at the time, the home of the best dance teachers.

For the last four years I have been a full time Dad which has been the best thing I have ever done. I have been teaching Latin American and Ballroom dancing on Thursday nights at the University and I continue to build students confidence and skills on the dance floor. The dream is to one day have enough dancers to compete in the intervarsity dancesport competition circuit.

Why do you like working here?

I think Essex is an incredibly empowering place to work. I already feel part of the Essex family.

Do you have any secret ambitions?

I invested in a rather expensive classical guitar many years ago. It has slowly gathered dust over time but I would love to one day get up on stage and rock out some great Fleetwood Mac covers!