7 March 2018

We speak to the Guardians of the Campus

Filed under: Latest news — ckeitch @ 4:18 pm

Our Campus Safety and Security Services teams are responsible for maintaining a safe and secure environment at our Colchester Campus.  We spoke to Deputy Director of Services, Tim Morris, to find out more about the team and their work.

Tim Morris

Tim Morris

What are the main responsibilities of your team?

We’re responsible for the security and wellbeing of all students, staff and visitors at our Colchester Campus.  That covers a huge range of activities including:

• first response first aid;
  • operating the 24/7 control room and CCTV system;
  • building access and key control;
  • patrolling our estate;
  • emergency procedures, like responding to alarms.

It sounds like you’re responsible for a lot of things. What’s the best thing about the job?

The fact that no two days are ever alike. Being relatively new in post, I am constantly surprised at the diverse nature of the services we provide, and by the professional and friendly way these tasks are carried out by the team, often in very difficult circumstances.

How did you get into this sort of role?

When I started at the Universtity ten years ago, I looked after Essex Food on the back of a career as a chef. I then developed that role and also took responsibility for Event Essex. More recently, as a Deputy Director, and as a part of the UECS/Estates restructure I took on the responsibility for Print Essex and the  security and car parking teams.  This has been a big challenge, but I’ve approached it as I do my other areas, as a customer facing and customer led service.

How many people are there in your team?

Some of the team

Some of the team

There are over 40 of us all together, including our Security Manager, 6 Support Supervisors, 30 Patrol Officers and 4 Traffic Officers.

What big projects do your team have coming up?

We’re currently raising awareness of the services we provide on campus. You may have seen our Guardians of the Campus poster on Square 2.  We also held an event on the squares at the end of last year, which was a fantastic opportunity to find out what people think about the services we provide. This will really help us to develop the team further so we can continue to support the ever growing estate here at Colchester.

What project are you most proud of?

I think it’s difficult to think of any one particular project, for me, personal pride can only be achieved through the shared success of the team you work with.

Tell us something about yourself.

My interests include being a season ticket holder at West Ham, and a recently found love of ballroom dancing. Both can be equally challenging.

What’s your one top tip for working at the University?

I probably shouldn’t say this, but if you haven’t tried a meal at Wivenhoe House brasserie yet, you should give it a try. The Head Chef is really good there so I hear (our mum taught us both well).