5 December 2017

Carol Service adds to the community spirit

Filed under: Latest news — Heather Leathley @ 6:25 pm

Have a look at the photos from our Christmas Carol Service on the Colchester Campus organised by student Thomas Watkiss to bring everyone together to share the season of goodwill, whatever their faith.

Thomas, a student at the Edge Hotel School, wanted to bring as many people as possible together. He said: “It was a truly multi-cultural event. I wanted to create a real community atmosphere and lots of different societies joined in.”

People taking part included the University Show Choir, Redeemed, Chinese Christian Fellowship , JAF – Jesus Alive fellowship, CathSoc and even the Students’ Union President herself, Zoe Garshong

Zoe said: “I believe that the spirit of Christmas is about unity and bringing people from all walks of life together. That’s what the story of the first Christmas illustrates, the wise men and the shepherds coming together from different backgrounds to celebrate.”

Thomas used his degree training in hotel management to ensure the evening ran smoothly, even borrowing a function sheet from Wivenhoe House hotel to double-check he ticked all the boxes, including Elf (Health) and Safety.

“The plan was to have a lot of fun but that takes serious organising. I have used my training, including looking at target markets and food hygiene, to make it a success.

“My studies keep me very busy but this is very important to me so I made sure I was well ahead of myself and could get everything done in plenty of time.

“Everyone I approached wanted to join in and I’ve had tremendous support from the Students’ Union and the University.”