15 August 2017

Dave pedals for underprivileged young people in nine-day challenge

Filed under: Latest news, People pages, Sport — Tags: , — Nerissa Blower @ 4:33 pm
Dr Dave Parry

Dr Dave Parry

Our Director of Sport Dr Dave Parry will be cycling 969 miles in nine days and hopes to raise £2,000 for IntoUniversity, a charity which helps children and young people from a poor background achieve their potential.

Explaining why he chose this charity Dave said: “Having come from a working class family, and being the only person in my family to go to University, I am particularly passionate about giving young people life chances and opportunities. I visited an IntoUniversity centre in Hackney and the staff there were really dedicated and enthusiastic and the work that they are doing is really making a difference to the lives of those young people.”

Dave, who lives in Brightlingsea, will be joining over 800 cyclists for the Deloitte Ride Across Britain, starting at Land’s End on 9 September and finishing at John O’Groats on 17 September.

Although he has taken part in a few triathlons and multi-day cycles in the past, this sponsored cycle will be his biggest accomplishment to date.

“Time is a challenge, as I have a busy work schedule and a young family. I am definitely ‘under-cooked’, but hopefully will ride myself into fitness as the event progresses (fingers crossed anyway!)”

To make a donation to the sponsored ride, please visit Dave’s fundraising page.