29 June 2017

Meet our technicians – Chief Technician, Steven Brewer

Filed under: Latest news, People pages — Communications, CER @ 2:14 pm
  • Name: Steven Brewer
  • Job title: Chief Technician
  • Which department do you work in?: Psychology

Our team of technicians from the Psychology department. Steven Brewer is pictured third from the left.

• Are you part of a team?: Yes, including myself, there are seven members of the technical team. The team has grown over the past eighteen months and there are now three Technicians and three Senior Technicians in the Psychology Department.
  • How long have you been at Essex?: I’ve worked at the University for just over two and a half years.
  • What is your role/your daily responsibility?: As Chief Technician, I supervise a team of six technicians. The Psychology Department is spread across two buildings, Square 1 building and the Centre for Brain Science (CBS). I oversee and am responsible for the installation, maintenance and support of all teaching, research and office facilities. This is very wide ranging and includes devices such as eyetrackers, electrocephalography (EEG), biofeedback systems and large computer labs, to name just a few. The team support staff and students in their technical requirements. We regularly develop computer programs for experiments used in research projects. This can sometimes also involve reprographic and video editing work. We occasionally develop small electronic solutions for experiments where off the shelf devices are not readily available or suitable.
  • Are there any projects you’re working on that are particularly exciting/interesting?: Construction of the new STEM building is currently underway. Once complete, there will hopefully be new and exciting opportunities for the technical teams in each department of the faculty of Science and Health to collaborate.
  • How did you get into this role?: I worked in London as a Senior Systems Engineer for a global media company for twelve years. I entered the education industry back in 2013 and was employed at the University in the role of Senior Technician in 2014. I was appointed as Chief Technician in July 2016.
  • What qualifications do you have/ what study path did you take?: I studied Computer Science and Engineering at College where I achieved A-Levels and higher BTEC qualifications. This developed my interest in a wider range of technology. I continued my studies at Ravensbourne in South East London and obtained a HND in Broadcast Engineering and Digital Technology. I have continued studies in various forms over the years. I have completed short courses in Hewlett Packard and Brocade Storage Area Networks, and am an Apple Certified Associate for OSX to name a few.
  • What sort of skills does being a technician require?: Technicians cover a very wide range of tasks. I believe it is useful for a technician to have a broad range of technical skills and an underlying thirst for technology. Good IT skills are very important. Programming experience is also very useful, especially in Psychology. It is also important for a technician to have good interpersonal and communication skills as our role is very customer focused.
  • What advice would give someone interested in becoming a technician?: Having a love for technology is a great starting point. It’s important to pick your area of study carefully as technical roles are very diverse. It’s very useful to keep up to date on the latest technology as you never know when you may need to adopt something new.

Left to right; our technicians pictured, are:

Jonathan Boalch
Alan Brignull
Steven Brewer
Woakil Ahamed
Elena Broggin
Monika Steinke