1 June 2017

Meet our new SRES School Manager – Sarah Mumford

Filed under: Latest news, People pages — Communications, CER @ 3:11 pm

Sarah Mumford has been appointed as School Manager for our new School of Sport, Rehabilitation and Exercise Sciences (SRES). Here she tells us more about herself and about her exciting new role. 

• Have you worked at the University before? If so where and for how long?
Sarah Mumford is School Manager for our new School of Sport, Rehabilitation and Exercise Science.

Sarah Mumford is School Manager for our new School of Sport, Rehabilitation and Exercise Sciences.

Yes, I started working at the University in 2009 in Essex Business School until 2014. I then went to the School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering (CSEE) followed by my last role before this one in Philosophy & Art History. So I have worked in different faculties in departments of varying sizes. All of these have been student facing roles in which I have had a number of different responsibilities, from overseeing coursework and attendance monitoring processes to managing the student facing offices, and arranging Welcome Week and Applicant Days, among other events. I am looking forward to taking this experience into my new role.

• Have you now started your new role?

I have now started in my new role as SRES School Manager, although the School does not officially open until 1 August.

• What interested you in the role of SRES school manager?

I was interested in the chance to create a whole new department and manage the recruitment of a new professional services team. The opportunity to merge processes from two existing departments Health and Human Sciences (HHS) and Biological Sciences (BS), and possibly create new processes, also appealed.

• This is a brand new role in a new school starting from scratch – what will you want to tackle/work on first?

Recruitment of the new professional services team is the priority, along with the implementation of standardised processes across the degrees coming from HHS and BS, which are Sports and Exercise Science, Sports Performance & Coaching, Physiotherapy and Sports Therapy. Another priority is ensuring that students coming from these departments and new first years feel a part of the new School. We will hopefully be helped in this by a Frontrunner and Project Worker.

• After that, what will your priorities be?

One of the next priorities will be ensuring the professional services team work well together, and with academic staff, to deliver consistently excellent customer service. Increasing student intake and establishing the School as a world-leading department in both research and education is the overall aim, and this may be facilitated by the introduction of new courses at some point.

• Is there anything you want to do differently? In a new way?

I want to introduce more flexibility in roles and responsibilities across the professional services team to promote cross-skilling and collaborative working.

• What should students come to you for?

The existing space and contacts are still in place in HHS and BS, however, any students transferring to SRES are welcome to come and see me with any concerns or questions about how the move might affect them going forwards.

• And where can they find you?

I am currently sharing an office with the Biological Sciences School Manager James Norman in 3SW.4.06. By the opening of the School in August the School Office will be set up in room 5A.131 while we wait for the completion of the new Sports Centre.

• When do you move to your new office?

The School office and academic staff offices will be located in the new Sports Centre upon its completion at some point in Spring term 2018.

• Tell us something unusual or quirky about yourself – e.g. have you any interesting hobbies or pursuits? A passion for something unusual?

I used to be a biker and commuted to work at the University for two years before I eventually got my driving licence!