16 May 2017

Meet Marcus Adams

Filed under: Latest news — ckeitch @ 11:06 am

Marcus Adams is the new singing tutor at East 15. Based primarily at our Loughton campus, he will also be teaching at our Southend campus on Fridays.

Where did you train? 

An image of Marcus Adams.

Marcus Adams.

I completed my degree in music at Newcastle University and then went onto the University of St. Andrews to do a Masters of Science, before heading to the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, where I completed a Masters in Musical Theatre, Musical Directing last autumn. I’m from Scotland originally. I was born in Melrose and grew up in Perth.

What have you been working on since graduating? 

I have been touring Europe as Musical Director of The 12 Tenors. It’s the tenth anniversary tour and we’ve been to Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg and Austria, performing concerts in loads of towns and cities. I was meant to start at East 15 in January, but the date had to be delayed while the tour was ongoing.

You are working at the University part-time what are you doing the rest of the time?

My long term goal is to be a Musical Director for shows in London’s West End, so on my days away from East 15 I head up there. I’m working as an audition and rehearsal pianist for West End shows, as well as helping run workshops for professional performers and performing arts students in the city.  While I was studying, I worked as a vocal coach and a  pianist and keyboard player, as well as conducting.

East 15 students are here on acting courses. Are they good singers?

There are now three music staff at East 15.  I wasn’t sure what to expect from the students. Some of them are very strong singers and some of them have never sung before.  It is great to work with such a diverse range of abilities.

Tell us something unusual about yourself?

I love playing hockey! My Dad had played hockey for Scotland at junior level so I decided to take it up at school. I went onto coach at a high level and now play in a corporate league as a forward for a London team made up of some alumni from St Andrews.

I was the only Scottish person who worked on the Ball Patrol  for the hockey matches at the London 2012 Olympics and my claim to fame is that I placed the ball that the German centre forward hit to score the winning goal in the Men’s Final.

After the Olympics, I went  on to head up Ball Patrol at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.