22 December 2014

Students key to festive cheer at Wivenhoe House

Filed under: Latest news, People pages, Student experience — Tags: , — Communications Office @ 1:09 pm

Wiv-house-300x200Careers in hospitality are exciting and fulfilling, but, as the Edge Hotel School undergraduates are discovering, there is a price to pay when the rota means you’re working Christmas Day or New Year’s Eve.

The students are at different stages of an intensive degree course in Hotel Management at the University’s Colchester Campus. As their studies are consolidated over two years instead of the standard three and they are an essential part of the professional team that runs the four-star luxury hotel, Wivenhoe House, working over the festive period is part and parcel of their experience.

For Evie Wells, who graduated this year, working at Christmas and New Year was nothing new. “Before I came to the Edge Hotel School I volunteered at our local leisure centre on Christmas Day when we invited elderly people in for a swim and a mince pie. In advance of starting the degree course here I was asked if I would mind working at this time and I was happy to.

“I really enjoyed working in the hotel, everyone seemed happier and jolly and the staff and students shared a Christmas meal, creating a real family spirit.”

Current undergraduate Chris Holdys, pictured second from right, was happy to ‘bite the bullet’ and is working on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. “I thought to myself, this is the industry, this is what we have to do. I am looking forward to it, it is a fun time of year and it will be a different experience and buzz around the hotel.”

His colleague James O’Connor is positively relishing the thought of working over Christmas. “I have worked on 25 December before I came to the Edge Hotel School and it is such an amazing time. I am working the early shift so will be able to spend the evening with my friends.

“When you are working at Christmas all the staff are in the same boat, so we’re all like one unit and everyone is so happy.”