University of Essex

24 January 2011

Life on Campus – Final Spring term

Filed under: Final Year UG,Mature Students,Nolita Werrett,Start of term — admin @ 9:11 am

The first week of my final Spring term as an undergraduate student simply flew past. In much the same way as the four week winter holiday flew past! What do you have to look forward to in your final year?

At ten o’clock on Monday morning I was in Blues Bar to host a Mature Students at Essex Society drop-in session. This is the chance for sophisticated, mature conversation but instead we engaged in frivolous chit-chat.

By now you will all have experienced the joy of collecting marked coursework assignments. If you are lucky like me, you will get inexplicably high marks for sheer waffle. If you are not so lucky, Student Support are there to help you with study skills advice and assistance and your lecturers will be happy to give you pointers on how to do better next time.

I’m sure you have all heard about our university’s high rankings in the research tables? Well, the Psychology department’s research needs the help of human guinea pigs and they are willing to pay for that help. This week I collected £3 for completing a brief online task of rating the attractiveness of miscellaneous faces. Easy money!

More easy money on Wednesday when I worked as a Student Ambassador. Every week a number of our departments invite prospective students to visit the university. Student Ambassadors are current students who are enjoying their time at University of Essex so much that they want to spread the joy. We basically get paid for telling people how great our university is and how much we are enjoying ourselves here!

On Thursday I completed the final formality for being a registered SU minibus driver – long after I first drove the minibus! This is another area where being a mature student is a bonus. Many of the sports clubs and societies use the SU minibus to ferry members to and from off-campus locations. To be registered to drive the minibus you need to be over 21 and have had a driving licence for over two years. This excludes the majority of students until they are in their final year but not us wrinklies!

One response to “Life on Campus – Final Spring term”

1. The information provided through this article regarding studies is very helpful.